Increasing health awareness among consumers is a key factor fuelling global micellar casein market growth
Micellar Casein is used in a wide array of applications such as beverages and smoothies, clinical nutrition, bakery, meat products, nutritional powders and bars, protein fortification, dairy beverages, supplements, infant nutrition, fresh dairy products, cheese and others. In terms of value, the global Micellar Casein market is anticipated to register a CAGR of 5.9% during the forecast period and is expected to be valued at over US$ 1,000 Mn by 2026 end. Fresh dairy products segment is expected to witness comparatively high CAGR during the forecast period. Increasing use of micellar casein in products such as yogurts is driving revenue growth of this segment.
Fresh dairy products and protein fortification segments are expected to gain significant market share by 2026 end
- Supplements segment in the global micellar casein market is estimated to account for more than 20% value share by 2026 end.
- The fresh dairy products segment is expected to gain 70 BPS over the forecast period and is expected to account for more than 10% value share by 2026 end. This is attributed to increasing use of micellar casein as a functional ingredient in dairy products.
Clinical nutrition segment is expected to register a relatively high CAGR
- This segment is expected to witness a CAGR of 5.9% over the assessment period and be valued at more than US$ 100 Mn by the end of 2026.
- This segment is estimated to create an incremental $ opportunity of nearly US$ 50 Mn between 2016 and 2026.
Increasing demand for high proteins baked goods is expected to drive growth of the bakery segment over the assessment period
- This segment is estimated to register a CAGR of 5.2% over the forecast period and be valued at nearly US$ 35 Mn by the end of 2026.
- This segment is estimated to create an incremental $ opportunity of nearly US$ 15 Mn between 2016 and 2026.
Increasing demand for healthy snacks by health conscious consumers globally is expected to drive revenue growth of the nutritional powders & bars segment
- This segment is projected to witness a CAGR of 5.2% over the forecast period and be valued at nearly US$ 60 Mn by the end of 2026.
- This segment is estimated to create an incremental $ opportunity of nearly US$ 25 Mn between 2016 and 2026.
Application wise market trends in the global micellar casein market
- Use of micellar casein and whey protein blends, which are high in amino acids and provide functionality similar to natural milk, has been witnessing significant increase. Whey and casein are an ideal combination as they have a complementary effect on the body, wherein whey helps in the rapid increase of protein synthesis while casein prevents protein breakdown.
- Quest Nutrition, a major manufacturer of nutritional bars and powders in the U.S., launched Quest Protein Powder in 2014, which is a blend of micellar casein, whey isolate and milk protein.
- Cheese is a major application for micellar casein, but is prone to various regulations. These regulations are based on the fact that raw milk can be a potential carrier of pathogens. Fat content of cheese is regulated in some regions, and addition of micellar casein alters this fat content. As per FDA cheese standards, fat content in cheese should be between 23% and 44%.
- Increasing consumer preference for natural or organic ingredients that are free from any additives is resulting in increasing demand for products such as micellar casein.
- The high stability of micellar casein enables it to undergo ultra-high temperature treatment, thereby making it suitable for use in shelf-stable beverages.
- Micellar casein is shelf-stable and soluble only at neutral pH. As most flavoured carbonated drinks are acidic in nature, they are not suitable for using micellar casein as an ingredient.